SEO can make or break almost any business online.
People use search engines every single second.
So if you’re able to achieve top spots in search engine results for keywords relevant to your business, you’ll be generating huge traffic and sales for FREE.
But… SEO is a huge ocean. There are a ton of ranking factors and various types of SEO tactics involved.
If you’re looking for the different types of SEO people use to generate more search traffic, this post is exclusively for you. Let’s get into details without much ado.
Table of Contents
What are the Types of SEO? The 11 SEO Types Explained!
What is SEO?
SEO (Search engine optimization) is the process of getting your website and its pages to rank higher in search results.
SEO offers so many benefits including;
- Gives excellent ROI
- Generates high-quality traffic
- Improves your overall website sales
- Increases your organic visibility
- Improves your brand and the list goes on
SEO is one of the most powerful digital marketing strategies used by brands and businesses to generate profits. If done right, SEO can provide 24/7 promotion to your business for FREE.
For instance, here are some of the top results for the search “where to buy cryptocurrency”.
If you sell cryptocurrency, you might optimize your website to get top rankings on the search engine results page (SERP).
But… it’s NOT so easy to rank for such competitive keywords.
That’s why most businesses implement various types of SEO to rank their website pages on top of Google search results.
SEO consists of a TON of tactics.
But there are a few different types of search engine optimization tactics used by most people. These SEO types include:
- On-page SEO
- Off-page SEO
- Technical SEO
- Local SEO
- Enterprise SEO
- White Hat SEO
- Black Hat SEO
- Gray Hat SEO
- Negative SEO
- YouTube SEO
- Voice search SEO
Let’s look at these different types of SEO strategies in detail so you can understand which one’s to use to grow your search traffic.
1. On-page SEO
On-page SEO (also known as On-site SEO) is one of the most common types of SEO used by millions of websites to improve their organic rankings in search engines.
What is on-page SEO?
On-page SEO is the process of optimizing your web pages in order to rank higher search results. On-page SEO refers to any on-site optimization that you control and include within your website.
Here are some of the widely used on-page SEO techniques;
- Optimize title tags and meta descriptions
- Use a short and sweet URL including a primary keyword
- Publish high-quality content
- Target at least one or two keywords with every blog post
- Include ALT tags that are relevant to the images you’re using
- Internal linking matters a lot (so always link to relevant posts while publishing new content)
- Try to sprinkle relevant long-tail keywords wherever necessary for better rankings
Should you implement on-page SEO on your website?
Yes, absolutely. On-page optimization helps you get more traffic from search engines like Google. But make sure NOT to overdo it (such as keyword stuffing).
2. Off-Page SEO
Off-page SEO (also known as Off-site SEO) is another popular SEO technique used by webmasters all over the world to build links, grow their brand, and improve their overall presence online.
What is off-page SEO?
Off-page SEO refers to tactics taken outside of your website to get higher rankings in search results. Unlike on-page SEO, off-page optimization is about everything that doesn’t happen directly on your website.
Here are some of the popular off-page SEO techniques;
- Try to improve your brand online so you can attract a ton of brand mentions
- Blog commenting
- Forum posting
- Influencer outreach
- Guest posting
- Broken link building
- Social networking
- Social bookmarking
- Write helpful answers on platforms such as Quora to build links
Should you implement off-page SEO on your website?
Off-page SEO is extremely important because it tells search engines like Google that your website is important to others on the web. If you want to improve your website trust signals, off-page SEO plays a key role.
3. Technical SEO
Proper technical SEO helps search engine spiders crawl and index your website more quickly and effectively. If you want to get better rankings, you must improve your website’s technical SEO.
What is technical SEO?
Technical SEO refers to optimizing your website for crawling and indexing. It also helps you find and fix all the technical issues that are preventing your site from getting better rankings.
What should you do while performing technical SEO on your site?
Here are some of the things you should focus on;
- Find and fix all the broken links on your website (including external and internal links)
- Find and disavow all the toxic links that are pointing to your site
- Crawl your site and look for any crawl errors
- Get rid of thin and duplicate content
- Find and fix all the missing ALT tags, lengthy meta descriptions, missing titles, etc
- Ensure your site is equipped with HTTPS and mobile-friendly
- Make sure your site is crawlable and indexable
Should you implement technical SEO on your website?
Yes, absolutely. Although technical SEO is NOT an easy task to perform. But when you’ve access to the right tools like Semrush, you can easily perform technical audits on your website to find and fix all the technical issues.
4. Local SEO
Local SEO is ESSENTIAL for any business that has a physical location and local presence. Local search engine optimization helps you generate more traffic, leads, and brand awareness from local searches.
What is local SEO?
Local SEO is the process of optimizing a website to be found in local search results. Local SEO helps you improve search engine visibility for local businesses.
Here are some of the local SEO tactics include;
- Finding local keywords that are relevant to your business
- Optimizing your business’s Google My Business (GMB) profile
- Building “NAP” (Name, Address, Phone) citations on local directories and Google Maps
- Always ask for “online reviews” for your website and business
- Optimizing your website for mobile as the majority of the local searches are performed on mobile
Should you implement local SEO on your website?
If you’re running an offline business, agency, or store, local SEO is a MUST. Local SEO helps you connect with local searchers in your area.
5. Enterprise SEO
Enterprise SEO is an SEO strategy that’s often used by big enterprise websites that have a ton (several thousand) of pages.
What is enterprise SEO?
Enterprise SEO is the practice of improving search engine rankings for a large enterprise company that consists of hundreds of thousands or even millions of pages.
Some of the enterprise SEO tactics include;
- Optimizing your content for featured snippets
- Targeting extremely competitive keywords
- Competing with the BIG and authority websites in your industry
- Producing high-quality content regularly
- Using structural data
- Optimizing your content for voice search
Should you implement enterprise SEO on your website?
Even if you aren’t a Fortune 500 company, you may still need to implement the best enterprise SEO strategies if your website has a huge number of pages. Enterprise SEO helps large websites to compete for competitive keywords to bring a ton of search traffic.
6. White Hat SEO
White hat SEO uses ethical strategies to get better rankings in search engines. All the SEOs and agencies practice white hat SEO to improve their website rankings in search results.
What is white hat SEO?
White hat SEO refers to the tactics that work within search engines’ guidelines to improve a website’s rankings in search results.
These are extremely safe SEO tactics used by all the SEO experts around the world to improve their search rankings.
Here are some of the widely-used white hat SEO tactics;
- Creating long-form of content that’s helpful to your target audience
- Build backlinks using the evergreen strategies like guest blogging, blogger outreach, broken link building, etc
- Creating different types of content such as articles, videos, podcasts, infographics, etc
- Improving your website loading times to provide a better user experience
- Building and growing your social media presence organically
- Updating your content regularly to provide accurate and up-to-date information
Should you implement white hat SEO on your website?
Yes, always. White hat SEO complies with Google guidelines. So you can always implement white hat SEO strategies on your website to get better rankings in search results.
7. Black Hat SEO
Black hat SEO techniques are used to generate more organic traffic to a website by violating search engine guidelines. Although they are NOT going to work, still many people practice black hat SEO to quickly get more traffic from Google.
What is black hat SEO?
Black hat SEO is the practice of improving search rankings for a website by implementing unethical tactics that often violate Google search engine guidelines.
Black hat SEO is BAD for your business and it can lead to getting your website banned or penalized in search results.
Here are some of the black hat SEO tactics include;
Should you implement black hat SEO on your website?
NEVER! Unless you want your website to get banned in Google search, never practice or implement black hat SEO strategies. It takes time to build and grow search traffic. Don’t expect quick results.
8. Gray Hat SEO
People and SEO agencies that are looking to quickly improve their search traffic often use gray hat SEO techniques. Although gray hat SEO might bring you some search traffic initially, it won’t last (due to frequent core updates from Google).
What is gray hat SEO?
Gray hat SEO is the combination of both white hat and black hat SEO techniques. It may or may not result in your site getting penalized by Google (depends on how you those tactics).
But it’s still a risky SEO practice that you should avoid if you want to stay safe from Google penalties.
Some of the common gray hat SEO tactics include;
- Buying expired domains
- Buying domains with exact match keywords
- Using PBNs (Private Blog Networks) to build links
- Buying links
- Social media automation and purchasing followers to grow an online presence
Should you implement gray hat SEO on your website?
If you want to stay safe from future Google algorithm updates and penalties, you should avoid using gray hat SEO techniques.
9. Negative SEO
Negative SEO is a malicious SEO practice that’s used by your competitors to demolish your website rankings in search engines like Google. If you’re NOT careful and don’t fight against negative SEO, your website may get banned or penalized by search engines.
What is negative SEO?
Negative SEO is generally considered as “black hat SEO”. But it is often done by your competitors to tarnish your website rankings in search engine results.
Here are some of the most common negative SEO tactics most people (or your competitors) use to tarnish a website search rankings;
- Automated spammy link building
- Leaving negative or fake reviews about a product or website
- Link farms
- Scraped content
- Removal of backlinks by sending fake link removal requests
- Hacking a website to steal links
Should you protect your website against negative SEO?
Absolutely yes. You never know how your competitors are trying to bring you down in search results. That’s why securing your website and always keeping an eye on your website’s backlinks is extremely important.
10. YouTube SEO
YouTube SEO is similar to Google SEO but you’re primarily optimizing your keyword terms for YouTube instead of Google. YouTube has over 2 billion monthly active users. So if you’re looking to boost your brand or business online, you should implement YouTube SEO tactics.
What is YouTube SEO?
YouTube SEO is the process of optimizing your YouTube channel videos to rank higher in YouTube’s organic search results for specific keywords or phrases.
Here are some of the popular YouTube SEO techniques you can use;
- Include your primary keyword in your video title and meta description
- Use proper thumbnails
- Find the right keywords to create videos
- Optimize your YouTube video tags
- Increase your YouTube video’s watch time because it’s an important YouTube ranking metric
- Create YouTube Playlists to bring more traffic to relevant videos
Should you focus on improving YouTube SEO?
Yes, why not? YouTube is the second biggest search engine after Google. YouTube numbers are growing rapidly. So if you’re looking for a powerful platform to build an audience and grow your online presence, YouTube is the best platform.
11. Voice search SEO
With smartphones getting cheaper and reached billions of hands, voice searches are growing rapidly. Most people are now using their smartphones and voice assistants to search for something online.
What is voice search SEO?
Voice search SEO is the process of optimizing keyword phrases for searches using voice assistants. Voice search mostly includes the natural language of users and delivers QUICK relevant answers.
Here are some of the common voice search SEO techniques used;
- Target question-based keyword phrases
- Focus on using conversational keywords
- Implement schema markup
- Make your site mobile-friendly
- Use FAQs while creating pages
- Create content that gives direct answers to voice searches
Should you implement voice search SEO?
Google reports that around 27% of online users worldwide use mobile voice search. So if you optimize your content for voice search SEO, you’ll be getting additional traffic from search engines like Google.
Read: 10 Best SEO Books to Help You Master SEO in 2023
Read: Types of Digital Marketing to Learn & Master in 2023
FAQs About Different Types of SEO
Here are some of the frequently asked questions around different types of SEO and search engine optimization in general.
What is SEO?
Search engine optimization (SEO) is the practice of attracting targeted traffic to a website from search engines like Google. SEO involves many tactics including on-page SEO, off-page SEO, technical SEO, etc.
What are the 3 types of SEO?
Here are 3 types of SEO every website should focus on (to increase their search rankings).
– On-page SEO
– Off-page SEO
– Technical SEO
What is the best SEO strategy?
Keyword research and creating great content is the BEST SEO strategy no matter what industry you’re in. You should also focus on acquiring backlinks as they matter a lot to improve your search rankings.
What are the SEO techniques for 2023?
Here are some of the best SEO techniques to use in 2023 and beyond.
– Creating engaging and evergreen content
– Improving your organic click-through rates
– Optimizing your content for search engines
– Building relevant links
– Performing site audits regularly to find and fix SEO issues
What is on-page SEO?
On-page SEO is essentially any optimization that takes place directly on your website. On-page optimization is the process of optimizing your individual pages to generate more search traffic for the target keywords.
Browse More SEO Resources:
Final Thoughts on types of SEO in digital marketing
There are many SEO techniques you can use to get better search rankings. Make sure to practice the best SEO tactics such as white hat SEO, YouTube SEO, on-page SEO, etc to increase your site’s rankings on the SERPs.
So what are your thoughts about different types of SEO? Which one do you like most? Share your thoughts in the comments.
How many types of SEO are possible? ›
There are about 12 different types of SEO that help websites to rank better on search engine result pages.What is SEO and its types with examples? ›
The three kinds of SEO are: On-page SEO – Anything on your web pages – Blogs, product copy, web copy. Off-page SEO – Anything which happens away from your website that helps with your SEO Strategy- Backlinks. Technical SEO – Anything technical undertaken to improve Search Rankings – site indexing to help bot crawling.How can you explain what SEO is used for? ›
SEO means Search Engine Optimization and is the process used to optimize a website's technical configuration, content relevance and link popularity so its pages can become easily findable, more relevant and popular towards user search queries, and as a consequence, search engines rank them better.What are the 4 primary areas of SEO? ›
- technical SEO: How well your content can be crawled and indexed.
- content: Having the most relevant and best answers to a prospect's question.
- on-site SEO: The optimization of your content and HTML.
- off-site SEO: Building authority to ensure Google stacks the deck in your favor.
- On-Page SEO. As a marketer, on-page SEO is likely the type you are most familiar with. ...
- Off-Page SEO. Off-page SEO refers to actions taken outside of your website to impact your SERP rankings. ...
- Technical SEO.
9 Core Elements of SEO.How many SEO keywords can I use? ›
It's easier for pages to rank if they focus on one topic, so you should focus on two or three primary keywords per page that are reworded variations. Targeting four or more keywords is difficult because there is limited space in the title and meta description tags to target them.Which of the following are 4 stages of SEO? ›
There are 4 stages of SEO: keyword research, readability check, linking, and marketing.What are the two main parts of SEO? ›
SEO is divided in two parts: On-page SEO and off-page SEO. On-page SEO refers to all techniques that can be implemented on your website to improve your ranking in SERP (search engine results pages), whereas off-page SEO refers to everything that can be done outside of your website to improve its visibility on the web.What are all the SEO services? ›
- Keyword research.
- Technical SEO audit.
- On-page setup.
- Competitor analysis.
- Website blog content.
How do you explain SEO to dummies? ›
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is the process of increasing the quality and quantity of traffic to your website through organic search results, as opposed to other channels like direct, referral, and paid advertising. To do good SEO, it's important to understand how search engines work.How would you explain SEO to a beginner? ›
SEO is the process of growing a website's organic search traffic. You do this by ranking in organic search results. SEO is important because you're unlikely to rank well without it. Ranking high gets you free, passive, and consistent traffic month after month.What are the 5 types of SEO? ›
- On-page SEO. Our Beginners Guide to SEO outlines the basics of search engine optimization, and on-page SEO is one of the easiest and most common ways to boost site visibility. ...
- Off-page SEO. ...
- Local SEO. ...
- Technical SEO.
At WebTek, we say the most important parts of SEO and the most important Google ranking factors are the webpage titles and heading tags. Titles represent the prime real estate of any website – they are your best chance to tell Google exactly what your website or webpage is all about.What is an ideal SEO checklist? ›
On-Page SEO Checklist. Crawl your website. Conduct an SEO audit and define your site architecture. Update URLs, page titles, and meta descriptions. Make sure your keyword is in your URL.How many steps are there for SEO? ›
All 6 steps should be implemented in order to achieve high ranking positions. Typically results can be seen after 4-6 months.How many times a keyword should be used? ›
Generally speaking, many SEO professionals agree that a keyword should not appear more than once per 200 words of copy. This means that for every 200 words of copy on a webpage, a given keyword should not appear more than once.How many keywords can I use per page? ›
How Many Keywords Should You Focus On Per Page? Search engine marketers should focus on targeting one main keyword or keyphrase and two to three keyword variations per individual page. But you may be wondering which keyword should you use as your main keyword if there are multiple variations of the same terms.What are the top 10 benefits of SEO? ›
- SEO gives 24/7 Promotion.
- SEO Gains More Clicks than PPC.
- SEO Improves Your Site's User Experience.
- SEO Helps you Generate Quality Leads.
- SEO Increases Brand Visibility.
- Improved User Experience.
- SEO Focuses Entire Marketing Funnel.
- SEO Builds Brand Credibility and Trust.
The Golden Rule of SEO is "create content for users, not for search engines". This means that when creating website content, the primary focus should be on providing value to users and meeting their needs, rather than trying to manipulate search engine rankings by using keyword stuffing or other unethical tactics.
Can you learn SEO by yourself? ›
SEO is not easy. But it's no rocket science either. There are things you can implement right away and there are concepts that will take much more time and effort. So yes, you can do SEO on your own.What is the first thing to do before doing SEO? ›
Before you start any active SEO efforts, it's important to make sure your website has content that engages and helps its users. Data shows that pages with 2,000+ words of content typically rank higher in Google search than pages with short, light content.How do you write SEO in 4 easy steps? ›
- Gather research in Topic Research and the Keyword Magic Tool. ...
- Analyze keywords by Keyword Difficulty. ...
- Generate an SEO Content Template and outline your content. ...
- Grade yourself as you write with the SEO Writing Assistant.
SEO strategy is a detailed plan to improve a website's search engine rankings in order to capture more organic traffic. This plan should draw from several foundational pillars, including technical SEO, content strategy, on-page SEO, link building and user experience.How do you explain SEO in an interview? ›
SEO is the process of improving the quality and quantity of website traffic in organic search results. This is done by increasing the visibility of a website or web page on a search engine without paying for it.How do I start SEO from scratch? ›
- Make your site interesting and useful.
- Know what your readers want (and give it to them)
- Act in a way that cultivates user trust.
- Make expertise and authoritativeness clear.
- Provide an appropriate amount of content for your subject.
- Avoid distracting advertisements.
- Use links wisely.
1. Technical optimization: website tools to improve SEO that aren't content related. 2. On-page optimization: incorporating keywords into your website content.What are the main 3 aspects of why SEO is important? ›
Focusing on these three pillars of SEO will increase the opportunities for your content and attract more organic traffic over time.What are the seven steps of SEO? ›
- Know Your Keywords.
- Write High Quality Content (Naturally)
- Use Keywords in Your Website Page URLs.
- Don't Overlook Page Titles.
- Review Every Page for Additional Keyword Placement.
- Improve User Experience.
- Hire an Expert.
Knowing and understanding each of the 4 main components of SEO is crucial to improving a brand's search results. Each component builds on and complements the others. The stronger the connections between each of the 4 SEO components—technical SEO, on-page SEO, off-page SEO, and content-—the better the results.
What is the most important part of SEO? ›
At WebTek, we say the most important parts of SEO and the most important Google ranking factors are the webpage titles and heading tags. Titles represent the prime real estate of any website – they are your best chance to tell Google exactly what your website or webpage is all about.